Part 1 of 3 – Checklist for a Successful PreK-3 Literacy Program
In the 15 years since we founded our educational publishing company, Flying Start Books, we’ve learned a few things about teaching children to read. This has prompted us to create a Checklist for a Successful PreK-3 Literacy Program.
When analysing any program, the first question we ask is: “Is it Child Focused?”.
Children need reading materials that put their requirements as the number one priority. Here’s how to check if the reading series you’re currently using is truly designed with kids in mind:
- Look for books that support children through the use of controlled, natural language.
- The text should be appropriately sized at every level – not too big or too small!
- Choose a typeface that is clear and easy to read.
- Avoiding confusing features such capital I without a top and tail, q’s without flicks and curly a’s and g’s.
- Look for extra spacing between the words, between each letter, and vertically between the lines
Read the next posts in this series:
Like what we've got to say? Spread the word!